Friday, February 6, 2009

Cool vs. Relevant


In response to the Relevant magazine article "Moving Beyond Postmodernism" by Joey Berrios. (link)

I still wonder what people are referring to when they refer to "postmodern culture". I have read plenty about postmodernism and plenty of post-modern philosophy. None of it suggests to me that there is a culture or group of people out there that could be called "postmodern." Obviously, not very many people share this sentiment, even though no one could accurately define who is post-modern and who is not. I think it confuses things much more when the Church claims to be responding to this ghost-culture! But that's a different issue.
Nonetheless, Berrios's article makes some great points... let me stick to one of them. Cool vs. Relevant.
When I ask people, "What is postmodernism?" the most common response I get has something to do with the relativity of truth; everyone gets to believe what they want to believe because in the end it's just belief anyway... nothing more. Ironically, the "postmodern church" has responded by trying to be cooler. I fail to see how this approach correlates to our definition of postmodern culture. Of course, they would not say cool, they would say relevant. I would call Starbucks in church lobby's a pretty obvious attempt at branding the church. To me, relevance has nothing to do with image... I mean, true relevance. Berrios makes a great point: "Jesus is relevant to culture" but not really cool. And by 'cool', I am talking about whatever is really hot right now. Whatever you want to call the culture out there, I think there is one way for it to be apparent to them that we are authentic:

Entrust our reputation to the Father, sort of like what Jesus did.

Yeah, I'm pretty much against this thing called image-management, right now. I just do not see where Jesus was that concerned about His reputation. I mean, what did He think upturning all the tables in the temple would look like? It certainly was not an image-polishing stunt. Yet, if we, the Church, ascribe to this marketing formula of putting on our best face in the public eye, carefully managing our image, when will we have time to manage our substance? Jesus put so much time into managing His substance, His character, and helping others do the same, I am not sure He had time to worry about His image. That's real. That's bold. Just like so many other great Christian truths, it's the last thing you would expect to work.

But it does. Obviously. Therefore I agree with Berrios: let's move on from postmodernism! Really, it's a distraction for the church. If you want to talk about philosophy, that's one thing. If we are talking about being Christ-followers, let's not dress it up in the latest fashions. Simple orthodoxy is good enough for me.

No comments: